Gotta give Google Plus a chance

Yesterday, Google+ Pages kick-started. I was excited about the opportunities it can offer the non-profit organization that I work for, so I immediately created a page since I already have a personal Google+ account (common sense would tell you that having a personal account is a requirement).

At first, it looks just similar with Facebook pages. On Profile view, you'll see your page's followers and the people in your page's circles. There's also this top photo bar where you can put 5 photos and use it whichever way pleases you (check out what I did to Greenpeace Philippines' photo bar). Then at Home view, there's the thumbnail profile photo at the the top left side and the stream just below it. Almost everything looks very Facebook.

But hey, it doesn't just end there.

G+ integrated YouTube on the far right of all pages and Google Docs for brand pages! Isn't it awesome?

Brand pages can also create Hangouts! I am still thinking of ways how it can be useful to us since we're not celebrities that people would like to hangout with, but I'm thinking it could be an avenue to connect web cam to web cam with the organization's supporters or maybe a way where our campaigners can actually talk to supporters like doing a live interview about the campaigns we're running.

There is also this Hangouts with Extras where you can connect with multiple people simultaneously, share screen, notes, documents, and even sketchpad, allowing you to work and collaborate in real time (yay! That would mean less carbon footprint if your work and/or meetings require you to travel by air).

Editing your page bio is so cool for it has a full WYSIWYG editor.

At the right side of the page's profile you can put recommended links and customize the name of the link (it actually felt weird when I saw the Facebook icon after I added our Facebook page link haha).

It almost seemed to me that G+ won't run out of awesomeness when I figured out you can change your profile photo from your filed or uploaded pictures and choose which one to use just by clicking on the current one. Plus, when you upload a new photo you have the ability to edit it right then and there by clicking on the "creative kit" option.

Now, here's what I like best: you can edit a post or change the post setting after you have posted it. I know, I am just clumsy at typing. I'm not perfect, my grammar's not always flawless and that at times I change my mind and decide I don't want some people to see a post or leave comments. The ability to edit a post saves me from a possible blunder. Haha!

Oh, and by the way, I like the idea of circles, too.. Really. Very organized. ;-)

I hope having a G+ page really works out especially now that we're already looking good on Facebook. But there's one thing that would make me leave Facebook and just maintain my Google+ account: it is if Facebook will stay powered by dirty coal. Tsk tsk.

0 comments:

Post a Comment